SELECTED PAPERS AND PUBLICATIONS
- Schooling New Media: Music, Language, and Technology in Children’s Culture Oxford University Press, 2017
- The Kindie Movement: Independent Children’s Music in the United States Since 2000 In Music in Early Childhood: Multi-disciplinary Perspectives and Inter-disciplinary Exchanges, edited by Beatriz Ilari and Susan Young, pp. 223–33, Springer, 2019 [pdf]
- Justin Bieber, YouTube, and New Media Celebrity: The Tween Prodigy at Home and Online In Musical Prodigies: Interpretations from Psychology, Musicology and Ethnomusicology, edited by Gary McPherson, pp. 749–67. Oxford University Press, 2016.
- Tween Intimacy and the Problem of Public Life in Children’s Media: “Having It All” on the Disney Channel’s Hannah Montana WSQ: Women’s Studies Quarterly 43/1-2 (Spring/Summer 2015): 66–82 [pdf, Project MUSE]
- Earbuds are good for sharing: Children’s headphones as social media at a Vermont school In The Oxford Handbook of Mobile Music Studies, edited by Jason Stanyek and Sumanth Gopinath, pp. 335–55. Oxford University Press, 2014.
- Tinkering and tethering in the material culture of children’s MP3 players In The Oxford Handbook of Children’s Musical Cultures, edited by Patricia Shehan Campbell and Trevor Wiggins, pp. 527–42. Oxford University Press, 2013.
- The new “tween” music industry: The Disney Channel, Kidz Bop, and an emerging childhood counterpublic Popular Music 31/3, (October 2012): 417–36. [pdf, JSTOR]
- Music of poetry and poetry of song: Expressivity and grammar in vocal performance Ethnomusicology 51/3 (Fall 2007): 439–76. [pdf, JSTOR]
- Children’s Music Culture: Commerce, Technology, and Tradition In The Routledge International Handbook of Children, Adolescents, and Media, edited by Dafna Lemish, pp. 134–40. Routledge, 2013. [pdf]
- Children’s music (encyclopedia article) In The Grove Dictionary of American Music (subscription only), 2nd ed., edited by Charles Hiroshi Garrett. Oxford University Press. [An older version of this piece is available as a pdf]
- Popular Music on Display in New York City Karaoke MA Thesis, Columbia University [pdf]
- Kidz Bop, “tweens,” and childhood music consumption Consumers, Commodities, and Consumption, the newsletter of the Consumer Studies Research Network (Fall 2008). [pdf]
- Call and Response—Revisited Reply to “Ethnomusicology and Empiricism in the Twenty-First Century,” by Judith Becker. Ethnomusicology 54 (2): 348–49. [JSTOR or pdf]
- MP3 Players, Music, and Children’s Material Culture Photo essay for Material World Blog
- Review of Voicing Girlhood in Popular Music: Performance, Authority, Authenticity, edited by Jacqueline Warwick and Allison Adrian Journal of the Society for American Music 13 (1): 117–19 [pdf]
- Review of The Musical Playground: Global Tradition and Change in Children’s Songs and Games, by Kathryn Marsh Journal of Folklore Research (August 2009)
- Review of Generation Digital: Politics, Commerce, and Childhood in the Age of the Internet, by Kathryn C. Montgomery Resource Center for Cyberculture Studies (April 2009)
- Review of Musical Childhoods and the Cultures of Youth, edited by Susan Boynton and Roe-Min Kok Current Musicology 86 (Fall 2008): 167–78